WHAT IS A LIFE COACH ANYWAY?? DOES IT REALLY WORK???
Ralph W. Emerson said, “Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be”. In a nutshell, that’s what a life coach does. Most of us have had experience with some kind of a coach in the past. Whether it was coach on the ball field, a vocal coach, stage coach or some other kind of coach, the goal was to help you s-t-r-e-t-c-h yourself in order to achieve your maximum potential. The role of a personal life coach is really no different. A life coach partners with you to dig deep inside, think outside the box, and capitalize on those strengths which may not have been fully tapped into yet. A life coach is a trained listener who will also challenge you to listen carefully to yourself. They are objective, non-judgmental personal advocates who help you identify your goals, move out of a slump, improve a skill, and win your “life” game. People who work with a life coach have a much higher success rate in achieving their attainable goals than people who attempt to do so alone.
HOW DOES CHRISTIAN COACHING DIFFER FROM OTHER COACHING?
Christian coaching is similar to other kinds of coaching in that the objective is the same. All coaches want to partner with a client in helping them maximize their potential and reach their stated goals. As a Christian coach, I believe God brings us together in this relationship and I believe He is ever-present in our sessions. I believe He has a plan for your life and has created you with the gifts and talents that you need to live your life to the fullest. In addition to other resources, I use Bible scriptures as a reference and I strongly encourage prayer.
WHO USES A COACH?
Coaching is no longer just for the rich and famous. Basically, anyone who has a goal, dream, or an area in their life which they want to change or improve, is a good candidate for coaching. There are as many reasons someone uses a coach now as there are people reading this.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING A COACH?
If you have ever had a plan or a goal, then you know the benefit of having someone to encourage you.
If you’ve ever had a confidant then you know the benefit of having someone to be ‘real” with, in confidence.
If you’ve ever had an accountability partner then you know the benefit of having someone to keep you on track.
Basically, you are more apt to reach your goal with someone who will partner with you in the process.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BEWEEN COACHING, COUNSELING, CONSULTING, AND MENTORING?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions regarding life coaching. Although coaching and counseling have some similarities, they differ in the following ways:
* Counseling assumes that something needs to be “fixed”, something is wrong; something is broken, or sick.
* Counseling generally involves delving into the past to determine WHY things are as they are and how they can be “fixed”.
* The counselor takes the lead.
* Coaching, on the other hand, does not sort through baggage from the past. Does that mean the past is never discussed? No, often times it is but only as a catalyst for moving forward.
* Coaching is all about working with someone who does not need to be “fixed” but rather wants change in their life. In counseling, the counselor takes the lead in unlocking the past. In coaching, the person being coached takes the lead because they already know what the issues are.
* Coaching operates under the premise that we don’t need to go to someone to get the answers but rather that we have the answers already inside of us.
* Coaching asserts that the client has the capacity to move forward and that it is easier done and more successful with a partner to hold their hand and guide the process in order to keep the client accountable.
Consultants might be called in to observe and suggest to you how they think things might work better. In other words, they tell you what needs to be done.
A mentor might be a trusted friend, colleague, or someone whom you greatly respect. They take you under their wing, so to speak, in the same way a teacher might.